Frequently Asked Questions About Insurance

With over a decade of experience in working with churches, private schools, and nonprofit organizations, we often get questions about insurance that we answer all the time. If you don’t see the answers to your questions here please contact us.

General Insurance Q&A

What kind of insurance does a church, private school, or nonprofit need?

Every organization is unique, and every state has different requirements. A church, private school, or nonprofit in Idaho would not need hurricane coverage. Yet, they would have an interest in coverage to repair their boiler in the face of a blizzard. Each organization needs to have a custom insurance plan based on what they do and how they do it.

How often should a church, school, or nonprofit review their coverages?

All organizations should work ahead of time to review their coverages before the next renewal. You should make known any changes to your operations and any growth you’ve experienced. You should also be aware of any changes in the industry that may effect you. If you have questions, ask about your insurance program coverage with your local agent.

Church Insurance Q&A

Do I need to buy a separate policy if the church opens a school?

We have programs that allow us to add a school or most nonprofit activities directly into your existing church insurance program. Thrift shops, Meals on Wheels, Food Banks, Outreach programs.

Private School Insurance Q&A

Do I need to buy a separate policy if the school is opened by a church?

We have programs that allow us to add a school or most nonprofit activities directly into your existing church insurance program. Thrift shops, Meals on Wheels, Food Banks, Outreach programs.

Nonprofit Insurance Q&A

What kind of nonprofit programs can Beacon work with?

– Adult Day Care
– Arts, Culture and Museum Centers
– Boys and Girls Clubs
– Developmentally Disabled Recreation or Independent Living Centers
– Developmentally Disabled Vocational Programs or Sheltered Workshops
– Domestic Violence Shelters
– Food Banks
– Goodwill Agencies
– Group Homes
– Head Start programs
– Homeless Shelters
– In Home Support Services
– K-12 Private or Charter Schools
– Meal Sites
– Meals on Wheels
– Pregnancy Centers
– Residential Facilities (mental health, behavioral or substance abuse.)
– Senior Centers
– Thrift Stores
– Youth Shelters
– And more

Property Insurance Q&A

We have special architecture and furnishings; can you cover that?

Our program can include:
– Balconies/Mezzanines/Choir Lofts
– Bell Towers
– Carillons/Chimes & Speakers
– Pipe Organs/ Electric Organs
– Stained Glass
– Steeples/Spires
– Antique or Specialty Schedules

How can I prepare my building for a natural disaster?

Check out our Risk Management section for information on what you can do before an expected event like a hurricane. We also discuss what you can do on a regular basis to help your building continue functioning the way you need it to.

If you need to evacuate – make sure to pack your Beacon Playbook. We provide a digital and physical copy of your policies and claim contacts at renewal, so your information is always at your fingertips.

Automobile Insurance Q&A

Can you cover a fifteen-passenger van?

Yes. We can also provide training resources for the drivers, so they are aware of some of the unique aspects of driving a vehicle of this type.

Workers’ Compensation Q&A

How does Workers’ Compensation work?

Workers’ compensation insures employees against wages lost or medical costs related to job-related illness or injuries. Ill or injured workers receive a certain portion of their wages while they are unable to work and receive compensation for the cost of their care.

How does Workers’ Compensation work in ministry?

Workers’ Compensation insurance for churches and ministries works in the very same way as it does for all other entities. While Florida Law does not require that smaller businesses and organizations employing fewer than four people have Workers’ Compensation coverage, we urge ALL of our clients to invest in coverage. Any incident, no matter how seemingly small, could take a great financial toll, so having a Workers’ Compensation policy will provide them with the protection they need.

How does Workers’ Compensation work in covering injuries or illness?

Workers’ Compensation covers work-related injuries and illness. These may not have to be related to a single incident. Repetitive stress injuries or illnesses resulting from continuous exposure to certain chemicals in the work environment may give rise to a workers’ compensation claim. In addition, employees do not have to be on the premises to receive coverage. Injuries or illness that arise during the course of performing any work-related tasks at their employer’s request – whether on or off-site – will fall under Workers’ Compensation. Injuries that occur while an employee is driving to or from work, however, are not considered work-related accidents. In the event that a drug or alcohol test is conducted after an accident the employee fails such a test, the employer will not be accountable. Self-inflicted injuries or intentional acts of the employer or other employees are also not covered by Workers’ Compensation.

Who does Workers’ Compensation cover?

Workers’ Compensation covers only employees of the business or organization.

Do workers’ compensation laws cover volunteer workers and minors?

Generally, policies do not cover volunteers because they are not employees. Minors, however, often receive coverage. If minors work in violation of labor laws, there may be substantial penalties. Most often, WCC benefits double in these situations, and the employer is responsible for paying the additional amount.

Can an employee sue their employer if they are receiving Workers’ Compensation?

No. Workers’ Compensation is a no-fault program. This means that injured employees do not legally have to prove negligence on the part of their employer in order to receive benefits, but neither can they sue their employer for their injuries.

How does the Workers’ Compensation claims process work?

Injured or sick employees must report their injuries or illness to their employer and must submit specific forms. If the employee does not report the injury within a certain period of time, they will potentially lose their right to receive benefits. Employers also must provide all employees with fact sheets or pamphlets regarding their rights and responsibilities in addition to displaying the posters required by state law. Once the employee properly submits the forms, compensation will be determined in accordance with state law.

Beacon Insurance Agency Q&A

How long has Beacon been in business?

Beacon Insurance Agency of Pace was established in 2009 by Mr. Terry Fortune. You can find out more About Us and why Beacon agents are considered THE church, school, and nonprofit insurance agents of Northwest Florida.

What makes Beacon so knowledgeable about church, school, and nonprofit insurance?

This is ALL we do. Most agencies work with dozens of different types of clients but at Beacon, our focus is solely on clients like you. The agents at Beacon have a collective 60+ years of experienced as licensed Florida Insurance Agents and all our agents have at least 15 years under their belt.

What makes Beacon insurance programs customized for churches, schools, and nonprofits?

What makes Beacon insurance programs customized for churches, schools, and nonprofits?
We are privileged to be partnered with GuideOne Insurance, the premier insurance carrier for Churches, Schools, and Not for Profit organizations. They have 75 years of experience providing programs that can be tailored to your needs. Beacon and GuideOne understand that most of your revenue is earned through the generosity of giving so you must be a good steward of every dollar.

Policyholders of GuideOne’s programs have access to a wealth of resources and reduced fees with their partners, including but not limited to:
– STOPit! – Anti-Bullying software/mobile app
– Strategos International – Armed Intruder Training,
– IntelliCorp and Protect My Ministry – background check and employment screening
– Crisis Prevention Institute – Non Violent and De-Escalation Training
– SubSplash – Online Giving Platform
– MinistrySafe and Abuse Prevention – Sexual Abuse Prevention Resources

What kind of insurance do we need?

Every organization is unique, and every state has different requirements. A church in Idaho wouldn’t be worried about hurricane coverage, but they would be interested in coverage to repair their boiler in the face of a blizzard. That’s why we are here. We will have a conversation all about you, what you do and how you do it.

Can Beacon review our insurance program for us?

Absolutely! Ideally we would love to sit down with you or have a conversation over the phone to identify what you need. After that, we can review what you have in place and identify how Beacon will be an added value to your ministry team. If you already have a great program, we will let you know!

How often should we review our coverages?

At Beacon, we work ahead to review your coverages before the next renewal. You can expect one of our agents to contact you several months before your renewal to discuss any changes to your operations, discuss any growth you’ve experienced as well as any changes occurring in the insurance industry. We are also happy to talk with you if you decide to make changes throughout the year or have any questions about your insurance program.

How do we file a claim?

A Beacon Playbook will be provided to you with a digital and physical copy of your policy information, along with claim phone numbers and web addresses. You can also visit our Report Your Claim information web page with helpful tips on starting your claims process. And, of course, you can always contact us and we will help you file your claim in the right place.

When I have a claim, how do you help me through the process?

We will assist you in filing the claim, as well as help you communicate with your adjusters and the carrier as needed. GuideOne also assists you as a policyholder by offering a streamlined claims process. LiveGenic is a virtual claims inspection service available that can reduce the claim cycle from 10-14 business days down to 2 or 3. Policyholders are also provided access to iGuide You, a program that offers 24/7/365 emergency services through local ServiceMaster contractors so you
make one online request to start the cleanup process.

GC3 Builders, the GuideOne construction company, provides an option for:
– Rapid response (12-24 hours)
– Seamless communication between you, your contractor, and the insurance company
– Detailed damage assessments
– Support local businesses – GC3 hires local companies so your claim dollars go back into the community you serve

Your questions are important to us regardless of the size of your organization… If you don’t see your answers here please contact us.

Scroll to Top